Wednesday, June 24, 2009

What Inspires You?

I always envy people with great style...you know, that something that sets them apart...a certain je ne sais quoi. I love trolling other peoples blogs for inspiration, ideas, and the voyeurism of getting a glimpse of how they live. I am always impressed by what I find....

Now, my personal style is hard to explain/describe. I love the look of old Hollywood...pin-up-esque; Preppy, classic, minimalist with a twist...somewhere in the middle of the spectrum between Gwen Stefani and Dita Von Tease. I own alot of black, love my pearls, and I have a soft spot for turtlenecks, but I love to play with polka dots, animal prints, and pink. Luckily, I find this is easy to transform into professional work attire. However, I'm also such a summer girl. My desire to run around in a bathing suit, jorts, and flops can detract from that "timeless" look I try to achieve.


What I am not, however, is anything that could remotely qualify as "hippie-chic". I love to thrift shop, but I do not gravitate towards anything resembling "classic rock and roll".

Although I loved Almost Famous and think Kate Hudson is a goddess, I cringe at the thought of trying to replicate this look and still be comfortable walking around in public.

I am definitely inspired by the wardrobe in movies like Almost Famous and Boogie Nights (especially Roller Girl), but I still find it very costume-y.

I envy the coolness of Erin Wasson. The tie dye, the accessories, the hair! But this "eclectic" fashion/vision is just something I do not possess.

Although, I never discriminate in the shoe department. I can appreciate beautiful shoes regardless of their style.

Today, I had an epiphany. Meet Krystal Simpson. Her blog http://www.whatisrealityanyway.com/ is amazing. Her style is exactly what I thought I could never pull off. But I'm seriously reconsidering my former ideas about this look that is so perfectly vintage/rocker/California all in one.

Her hair alone is uber lust-worthy, but her awesome ensembles inspire.

I would totally wear this. Granted, this is one of her more minimalistic looks, but I am obsessed with her style.

1 comment:

  1. For all the references to great style you keep making that all these celebs have, many of which are extremely dubious but I'll grant you for the sake of argument, it seems like you're always selling yourself short! On behalf of the 8,452 other readers on this post, we want to see more of YOUR style! black out your face or something so we don't know who you are or where you live and lay it out there.

    by the way, nice ass.

    ReplyDelete